Fremont is a well-managed and innovative city, and has recently generated national attention by placing 7th on the list of the Greenest Cities in America according to a 2018 Wallet Hub survey and ranking 3rd Best City in the Nation to raise a family, according to another 2018 survey by Wallet Hub. Located in the heart of the Bay Area and Silicon Valley, Fremont prides itself on innovation, green technology, a low crime rate, great schools, a low unemployment rate, quality parks and nearby open space, and an incredibly diverse population of over 235,000 residents. As a full service City, Fremont employs over 937 regular employees and has a General Fund budget of $205 million.
THE POSITIONS AND TEAM
The Human Resources Technician I/II is an exciting opportunity for individuals with a passion for human resources in the public sector and with an eye for details. Our Human Resources team provides a high-level of customer service across the entire organization. The positions perform a variety of highly specialized technical and detailed work in the preparation, review, verification and processing of centralized payroll and benefits transactions. Human Resources Technicians interpret and apply relevant benefits and payroll regulations, policies and procedures. The positions also coordinate HR activities that are administered in compliance with federal and state laws, rules, and regulations, such as COBRA, ACA, FMLA/CFRA, PDL, HIPAA, IRS and relevant regulations.
Two Human Resources Technician positions will be filled - a regular full-time position in Benefits, and a temporary full-time position in Payroll. The duration of the temporary assignment is expected to provide support for approximately five to six months, with a start date in April 2019.
Benefits - HR Technician Position (Regular Full-time)
- Assists with day-to-day operations of the City’s health and welfare benefits program, including medical insurance, dental, vision, flexible spending account, transportation spending account, short/long-term disability, life insurance, deferred compensation, EAP and COBRA.
- Performs duties relating to processing health/benefits vendor payments, reconciling and auditing billing statements within established deadlines.
- Prepares on-boarding/off-boarding paperwork for employees, including conducting employee meetings and orientations.
Payroll - HR Technician Position (Temporary Full-time)
- Assists with routine payroll operations, including processing bi-weekly payroll with accuracy (mandatory/voluntary deductions, special pays, leave payouts, payroll accruals) and recordkeeping of employee payroll transaction documents.
- Processes online transactions, reconciles records, pay warrants and runs payroll reports utilizing the City’s HRIS (PeopleSoft) system.
- Performs duties related to processing health/benefits vendor payments, reconciling and auditing billing statements within established deadlines.
Both Human Resources Technician positions are responsible for supporting special benefits/payroll projects including, but not limited to: open enrollment, audits, HRIS system testing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance would be qualifying.
Education: Associate’s degree from an accredited college with major course work in Human Resources.
Experience: Human Resources Technician I: None. Human Resources Technician II: Three (3) years of responsible administrative clerical or technical experience in the assigned subject area.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in current and past employment history:
- Job Expertise: Knowledge of theories, professional/technical principles and practices of Human Resources benefits and/or payroll administration, City procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Communication Skills: Ability to effectively convey information and express thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
- Customer Service: Ability to anticipate customers’ needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, respectful and friendly manner; ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, City employees and outside agencies/vendors.
- Computer Skills: Experience with MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, and HRIS or similar system.
- Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills: A positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Multi-tasking: Ability to handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously while remaining calm under pressure.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Regular position - annual salary $61,775 to $82,599 depending on qualifications.
CalPERS Retirement Benefit
- *Classic Employees - 2.0% @ 60 benefit, 3 year final average compensation.
- *New Employees - 2.0% @ 62 benefit, 3 year final average compensation.
- Required PERS contributions vary by plan. All required contributions are tax deferred.
- Cafeteria Benefits Plan for employees/dependents includes up to $1,981.95 monthly to purchase medical, dental and vision plans; dependent care and medical expenses can be paid for with pre-tax dollars.